Earlier this year, we posted some tips to help prepare for a hurricane. With Hurricane Sandy approaching the region, now would be a good time to review these tips. Dominion Virginia Power has a few tips on their web site here and here.
From a recent trip to the Lombardy Street Kroger, it looks like most of you have already stocked up on water, snacks, beer, wine, pet food, and batteries.
While the weather is still nice today:
- take a walk around your property and secure any loose items that may be blown around by heavy winds (lawn furniture, umbrellas, children’s toys, planted pots, trash cans, campaign signs, etc.)
- clear gutters and downspouts
- go to the ATM for extra cash (I learned during Hurricane Irene that if stores are open with out power, they cannot take credit/debit cards)
- refill any prescriptions
- charge your cell phones, laptops, and electronic devices
- check out a few books from the public library
Stay safe this weekend, neighbors.